Medhu vadai is a popular appetizer in southern districts of Tamilnadu. I learned this recipe from one of my friends mom. She used to make wonderful medhu vadai and I love them a lot. Here comes the recipe.
Ingredients: Yields 12 to 15 vadai’s
- 1 cup – Whole black gram without skin / Uluntham paruppu
- 2 tbsp – Raw rice
- 1 no – Onion (chopped finely)
- 1 tsp – Ginger (chopped finely)
- 1 or 2 nos – Green chillies (chopped finely)
- 1/2 tsp – Peppercorns
- 1/2 tsp – Cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp – Coriander leaves (chopped finely)
- 1 tsp - Curry leaves (chopped)
- 1 pinch – Baking soda
- Salt as needed
- Soak whole black gram / ulunthu along with 2 tbsp of raw rice for at least 1hour and drain the water completely. Now grind it to fine paste sprinkling water now and then. Do not add much water as the batter will become watery. For perfect crispy vadai the batter should be in correct consistency.
- Once the batter is ready, add chopped onions, ginger, green chili, cumin seeds, peppercorns, coriander leaves, curry leaves, baking soda and required salt to the batter, mix well and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a kadai. Take water in a bowl, wet your right hand take a normal ball out of the batter and make a hole in the middle with your thumb and carefully drop it to the kadai immediately (It comes only by practice). Continue the same process for each and every vadai; you will get the right shape for vadai.
- Fry vadai in medium flame, turn over to other side once it becomes firm. Take out and drain it in a tissue once it becomes golden brown on both sides. Serve along with Sambar and coconut chutney.
- While grinding, add water little by little, If the batter becomes runny the vadai will drink more oil. For perfect crispy and soft vadai the batter should in correct consistency.
- In case your batter becomes watery add 1 or 2 tsp of rice flour not more than that.
- To get perfect shape vadai you can grease your left palm, wet your right hand and take a lemon size ball, place it in your left palm. Platen the dough put a hole in the center and drop carefully in the frying pan.
- Making perfect shape is little difficult for a beginner but by practice you will get it right.