Channa pulao is a simple pulao made with channa/chick peas. We always need a change from our routine, so what if I make pulao with legumes instead of making with vegetables. It's quite a change from the usual dish.
Chickpeas are a helpful source of zinc, folate and protein. They are also very high in dietary fiber and hence a healthy source of carbohydrates for persons with insulin sensitivity or diabetes. Chickpeas are low in fat and most of this is polyunsaturated.
- 2 cups – Basmati rice
- 3/4 cup – Channa/ chick pea/ kondakadalai
- 2 nos – Onion (medium sized, sliced lengthwise)
- 1 no – Tomato (chopped finely)
- 1 tsp – Ginger garlic paste
- 4 or 5 nos – Green chillies (slit open)
- 1/4 tsp – Turmeric powder
- 1 tsp – Red chilli powder (as per taste)
- 1 tbsp – Mint leaves (chopped)
- 1 tbsp – Coriander leaves (chopped)
- Salt as needed
- 3 to 4 cups – Water (I use 4 cups)
- 2 tbsp – Oil/ghee
- 1 no - Cinnamon stick
- 2 nos – Cloves
- 1 no – Bay leaf
- 1/2 tsp - Fennel seeds
- 1 no – Star anise
- 1 no – Cardamom
- Soak channa/chick pea in water for upto 6hrs. Pressure cook till it turn soft, drain and keep it aside. Soak basmati rice for 30 mins and set aside.
- Heat oil in a cooker, season with items given for seasoning. Add onion, green chillies and ginger garlic paste, saute until golden brown. Next add tomatoes, mint and coriander leaves, saute until the tomatoes are mushy.
- Then add turmeric powder, red chilli powder and salt, saute until the raw smell goes. Next add channa / chick peas and mix well.
- Next add required water and bring it to boil. Add rice and cover with lid (any plate), cook until rice is 3/4 cooked. Reduce the flame to low, put cooker lid with whistle on it and cook for upto 5 to 10 mins.
- Remove from stove, wait for the steam to go then open the cooker and give a good mix. Channa pulao is ready and serve hot with raita and chips.