Nellikkai sadham or Gooseberry rice is a healthy rice that tastes good as any variety rice. Since gooseberry has lots of nutrition, it is better to add it in our regular diet in some form like rice or juice. Here comes the Nellikkai rice recipe.
- 3 cup – Cooked rice
- 3 nos – Gooseberry / nellikkaai / Amla (chopped finely)
- 1 no – Onion (chopped finely)
- 2 or 3 nos – Green chillies (as needed)
- 1 tbsp – Split black gram powder / Ulunthu podi (dry roast split black gram and powder it )
- 1/4 tsp – Turmeric powder
- 1/4 tsp – Cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp – Sesame oil
- Salt as needed
- Heat sesame oil in a pan, season it with cumin seeds, let it splutter. Add chopped gooseberry and saute for 4 or 5 mins or until nicely fried.
- Add onion, green chillies along with salt, turmeric powder and saute until slightly golden brown.
- Now add cooked rice and split black gram powder, mix everything well. Sprinkle little water and cover with lid, cook until well cooked.
- Gooseberry rice is ready to serve. Serve hot with raita and papad.
- Usage of sesame oil is best for this rice and it improves the taste.