The tomato is native to South America. Tomatoes are now eaten widely around the world and their consumption is believed to benefit the heart, among other organs.Tomato thokku is a simple dish made with tomato and onion .You can use this as a base to make tomato rice, tomato idiyappam etc. It is also a good side for idly, dosai and chapathi.
- 2 nos – Tomato (nicely ripped)
- 1 no – Chopped Onion(medium)
- 1/4 tsp – Turmeric powder
- 2 tsp – Red chili powder(as per taste)
- 2 tsp – Coriander powder(dhania)
- Salt as per taste
- 1/2 tsp – Mustard seeds (kaduku)
- 1 tsp – Spilt black gram (Ulutham paruppu /Urad dhal)
- 1 tbsp - Oil
- Heat oil in a pan add mustard, ulutham paruppu let it splutter. Add finely chopped onion fry until it turns brown.
- Add chopped tomato fry for few minutes and then add Turmeric, red chili powder, coriander powder and salt.
- Cover with lid and cook until the tomatoes turn soft and mushy, which should take about 5 to 6 minutes. Now remove the lid and cook until it turns thick and the oil separates.
- Stir every 5 minutes to avoid sticking to the pan. Serve hot with idly, dosai or chappathi.