Black Pepper was believed to cure illness such as constipation, diarrhea, heart disease, hernia, indigestion, insect bites, insomnia, joint pain, liver problems, lung disease, oral abscesses, sunburn, tooth decay, and toothaches. Milagu / Pepper rasam is made with freshly ground black pepper and it is a good remedy for cold.
- 1 no – Tamarind (gooseberry size)
- Salt as per taste
- 1 cup - Water
- 1 tsp – Black peppercorns
- 1 tsp - Cumin Seeds
- 1 tsp – Oil
- 1/4 tsp - Mustard seeds
- 1 pinch - Asafoetida
- 3 or 4 nos – Curry leaves
- Soak the tamarind in water and squeeze out the juice.Keep it aside.
- Grind peppercorns and cumin seeds to a fine powder in a mixer and keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds. When the mustard seeds begins to splutter add curry leaves. Then add the ground powder and fry for a minute (do not burn it).
- Now add tamarind extract along with required salt and let the mixture boils till the tamarind raw smell goes off.
- Now add 1 cup of water and when the rasam starts to boil switch off the flame. Milagu rasam is ready to serve with white rice and appalam.