Simple stir fry with cabbage and moong dal/ paasi paruppu that goes well with kara kuzhambu, sutta appalam and hot rice.
Serves 4 to 5
- 3 to 4 cups – Cabbage chopped
- 3 tbsp – Split green gram / moong dal / paasi paruppu
- 1 no – Onion (chopped finely)
- 2 or 3 nos – Green chillies (chopped)
- 1/4 tsp – Turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp – Coriander leaves chopped finely
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp – Oil
- 1/4 tsp – Mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp – Split black gram / Ulunthu/ urad dal
- 1/4 tsp – Cumin seeds / jeera
- 4 or 5 nos – Fresh curry leaves
- 1 pinch – Asafoetida
- Take a wide vessel, add chopped cabbage, washed paasi paruppu / moong dal and little water, cover with lid and cook until it is well cooked but cabbage and moong dal should hold its shape even after cooking. Switch off the stove and drain the water completely if there is any.
- Heat oil in a pan, season with items given in the list for seasonings. Add chopped onion and green chillies along with little salt, saute until translucent.
- Add cooked cabbage and moong dal, required salt and turmeric powder, saute until everything incorporates well. Switch off the stove and garnish with coriander leaves. Serve with hot rice and any kuzhambu or curry of your choice.
- Turmeric powder is optional in this recipe. My husband likes cabbage stir fry with turmeric powder.
- Increase or decrease number of green chillies as per your spice level.
- Do not over cook cabbage and moong dal as it will spoil the taste and texture of the stir fry.