Trying different recipes with pasta is always fun. My daughter loves pasta in any form like soup, salad, with vegetables or with chicken. Recently while surfing in internet, I came across this recipe and it was quite interesting. I thought of giving it a try and the end result was really good. Fussy eaters would also love this veggie pasta for sure.
Serves 3 to 4
Serves 3 to 4
- 1 cup – Elbow pasta
- 1 no – Red peppers (medium size)
- 1 no – Carrot
- 1 no – Zucchini
- 1 no – Onion (medium size)
- 2 nos – Garlic clove
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup – Tomato puree ( i used ragu tomato sauce)
- 1/8 tsp – Dried basil
- 1 tbsp – Olive oil
- 1 pinch – Sugar
- Salt and pepper powder to taste
- Take a big vessel, heat water with few drops of oil and bring it to boil. Add elbow pasta along with little salt and let it cook for 10 minutes, until it turns soft and firm. Now check the pasta and drain excess water using a colander, keep it aside. Reserve 1/2 cup of pasta water for later use.
- Wash and grate onion, garlic, red pepper, carrot and zucchini, set it aside.
- Heat olive oil in a pan, add grated veggies and saute for few minutes until veggies are 1/2 cooked. Followed by tomato puree, salt and pepper powder, dried basil and pinch of sugar, cook for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Finally add cooked pasta, reserved pasta water to the cooking tomato sauce, allow them to cook until you see the water is absorbed completely. Switch off the stove and serve with olive oil and grated cheese on top.
- Do not over cook or under cook pasta otherwise pasta will lose its texture.
- You may use any colorful vegetables of your choice. I would suggest to use as many colorful vegetables as possible to make it very attractive to kids.
- I have used ragu tomato sauce in this recipe. You may use plain tomato puree (just peel the skin of tomato and grind it).
- You may replace dried basil with fresh basil leaves.
- You may use any pasta variety of you choice.