Methi dal / fenugreek leaves / venthaya keerai paruppu is a simply yummy dal prepared with methi leaves and paasi paruppu, which goes well with hot rice and appalam, pickle etc.
Serves : 4 people
- 1/2 cup - Split green gram / Moong dal / Paasi paruppu
- 1 cup - Methi / Fenugreek leaves / Venthaya keerai (wash and clean)
- 1 no - Onion (chopped finely)
- 1/2 no - Tomato (medium sized, chopped finely)
- 2 nos - Garlic (chopped)
- 1/4 tsp - Turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp - Sesame oil
- Salt as needed
- 1 tbsp - Oil
- 1/4 tsp - Mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp - Split black gram / ulunthu
- 1/4 tsp - Cumin seeds
- 3 nos - Dry red chillies (or add as needed)
- 2 pinch - Asafoetida
- 4 or 5 nos - Curry leaves
- Cook split green gram / moong dal / paasi paruppu along with 1/4 tsp of turmeric powder, garlic, 1/2 tsp of sesame oil and enough water, until soft and mushy. Set it side.
- Heat oil in a pan, season with items given in the list for seasoning. Add onion and tomato along with required salt, saute until tomatoes are mushy.
- Add methi / venthaya keerai / fenugreek leaves and saute until they are 3/4 done. Now add cooked paasi paruppu / moong dal along with enough water and required salt (if needed).
- Mix well and allow them to cook for 8 to 10 mins or until you reach desired consistency. Simple methi dal is ready and serve with hot rice.
- You can either cook moong dal / paasi paruppu in a pressure cook or open cook in any vessel as i did.