Tomato dosai is a simple and tangy dosai made with fresh tomatoes. I have already posted tomato dosai early but this is another version of tomato dosai made with simple ingredients. It tasted awesome and i hope you will also love this as much as I loved it.
- 2 big no / 1/4 kg – Tomato / ripped
- 1 cup – Raw rice (pachai arisi)
- 1/4 cup – Whole black gram without skin / ulunthu
- 1/4 tsp – Fenugreek seeds
- 3 or 4 nos – Dry red chilli
- 2 or 3 nos – Garlic
- 2 pinches – Asafoetida
- Salt as needed
- Wash and soak raw rice and whole black gram along with fenugreek seeds each separately for up to 5 hrs.
- Prepare a bowl of hot water (enough to soak tomatoes) and set it aside. Wash the tomatoes thoroughly and then with a sharp knife cut a cross in the top of each tomato.
- Drop them in hot water, after 5 mins remove them from hot water and allow them to cool (alternately you can place them in cold water). Now peel their skin and chop them into pieces. Set aside.
- Transfer chopped tomatoes, soaked rice and whole black gram, garlic, dry red chillies, asafoetida, enough salt to a mixer grinder and grind it until smooth (consistency like dosa batter). Do not add water while grinding, since tomatoes will release enough water to the grinding flour.
- Allow them to ferment for at least 4 to 5 hrs or until nicely fermented. Heat a tawa, take a ladle full of flour and spread it like normal dosai. Drizzle some oil around the sides and cook both sides till golden brown. Serve hot with any spicy chutney.
- Do not add water while grinding, since tomatoes will release enough water to the grinding flour.