Wish you and your family a very happy diwali !
Kaju katli is a yummy and kids friendly sweet prepared with cashew nuts and sugar. It is also called as cashew burfi.
- 1 cup – Cashew nuts
- 1/2 cup – Sugar (heaped)
- 5 tbsp or 1/4 cup – Water
- 1 tbsp – Milk (optional)
- 2 tsp – Ghee (for greasing)
- Take a mixer grinder, clean it thoroughly with tissue paper. Add cashew nuts and grind them without stopping in between to a fine powder. If you had kept your cashew nuts in refrigerator, then make sure you take it out and grind it when it is in room temperature.
- Grease plate and rolling pin with few drops of ghee and keep it ready.
- Heat a pan, add sugar, 5 tbsp of water, and bring it to boil. Continue boiling until you reach one string consistency. You can check the correct consistency by taking sugar syrup between the thumb and the index finger a single string will form.
- Reduce the flame to low and then add powdered cashew nuts and keep stirring. Keep stirring continuously over low flame until you see the mixture is getting less sticky and easy to stir. Continue stirring until the mixture is not sticky anymore and it reaches a soft dough consistency.
- Transfer the dough in a plate and grease your hand with ghee, knead well when the mixture is still warm. Sprinkle little milk if you feel the dough is bit dry.
- Once again transfer this mixture to a greased plate and roll it with rolling pin. After 5 to 10 minutes, make slices like diamond or any other shape you wish. Let it set for a while and take it out slowly from the plate. Yummy kaju katli is ready and store them in refrigerator.
- Milk is completely optional in this recipe. but if you find your cashew mixture is dry, then do not hesitate to sprinkle little milk while kneading. If it is in right consistency then no need to add milk while kneading.
- If you add milk while kneading then make sure you keep the sweet in refrigerator.
- The sugar syrup and the cashew dough consistency is very important, if it becomes a bit thicker than mentioned, then cashew mixture would be difficult to roll and they will tend to break.
- While making sugar syrup, keep the flame in low if you are nearing the consistency.
- Do not over grind cashew powder because it will get sticky.