Spinach leaves are not only more appealing to the eye but more nourishing as well. Spinach is a good source of vitamin C, K and E etc. Spinach rice is a best lunch box dish for school going kids.
- 1 cup – Raw rice / Basmati rice ( i used raw rice)
- 2 cups – Spinach (chopped)
- 1 no – Onion (chopped finely)
- 2 or 3 nos – Green chillies
- 1/2 tsp – Ginger (chopped finely)
- Salt to taste
- 2 tsp – Ghee
- 1/4 tsp – Fennel seeds / Sombu / Perunjeeragam
- 1/4 tsp – Cumin seeds
- Wash and soak rice for 30 mins. Pressure cook rice (raw rice 1:2 ratio / basmati 1 : 1 1/2) for 3 to 4 whistles or until well cooked. Spread the rice in a wide plate and allow them to cool completely.
- Heat ghee in a pan, season with items given in the list for seasoning. Add onion, ginger, green chillies along with required salt, saute until translucent.
- Then add chopped spinach and saute until they are well cooked. Now add cooked rice and mix everything well together. Check for salt and if needed add more. Simple spinach rice is ready.
- For raw rice the ratio will be 2 cup of water for 1 cup of rice. For basmati rice 1 1/2 cup of water for 1 cup of rice.
- You can add 1/4 tsp of garam masala powder or whole garam masala to this recipe for additional spice and flavour.