Milagu seeraga podi / cumin pepper powder is a flavourful powder that can be used in making of rasam, samba sadham, enhancing curries, omelette, sprinkle on boiled eggs etc. It is a multi purpose powder which adds awesome aroma and taste to the dish.
Yields - 1 cup
- 1/2 cup - Cumin seeds / seeragam
- 1/2 cup - Peppercorns / milagu
- 1/8 tsp - Asafoetida
- Salt to taste (optional)
- Heat a pan, add cumin seeds and peppercorns, saute until nice aroma comes. Set it aside.
- Transfer roasted cumin seeds and pepper in a mixer grinder, grind them along with asafoetida and salt to a coarse powder.
- Flavourful milagu seeraga podi is ready. Store it in airtight container and use it when needed.
- You can also roast cumin and peppercorn each separately and grind it together along with asafoetida.
- I used to refrigerate any homemade masala powder for long term use. You can also store this powder in outside temperature.
- Always make this powder in small batches rather than bulk.
- Adding salt is completely optional, because you can add salt separately while making rice or rasam.