Kozhukattai is a sweet dish traditionally prepared during Vinayaka Chaturthi festival. Its steamed rice flour dumpling with sweet filling inside. This is my mom’s way of making kozhukattai. I am a big fan of this kozhukkattai.
- Idly rice-1 cup
- Salt-1 tsp
- Water- as needed
- Sesame oil-1 tbsp
- Coconut-11/2 cup(grated)
- Roasted bengal gram-1cup (pottukadalai)
- Sugar-as needed
Rice flour Preparation:
I made rice flour from the scratch. Even I tried with store bought rice flour but making our own rice flour is really tasty and this is the authentic way of making kozhukkattai.
- Soak idly rice for 5-6 hr and using wet grinder/mixer grinder grind the rice to a very fine consistency (like dosa batter). Finally add salt to it.
- Take a big hard bottom pan keep in a medium heat always and add 1 tbsp of sesame oil to it. Then add the rice flour keep stirring never move from that place…Continue doing this until you get thick ball.
- Switch off the stove. Divide the batter into three portions and knead it into a smooth ball. Make it into a single ball and cover it with a wet tissue or cloth.
Grind all the ingredients given for sweet stuffing except coconut. Finally add the ground mixer to the coconut. Now stuffing is ready...
Making of dumplings:
Now we have to make the kozhukattai and keep the poornam inside. Lot of ready made achu is available. But if you dont have achu also no problem.
- Apply oil on your left hand take a small amount of rice flour make a ball then press the flour with the other hand. Keep the poornam inside and cover nicely.
- Place the kozhukattais in the idli plate or any steamer for 9 to 10 minutes and steam until cooked.