Tawa pulao is a popular street food in Mumbai. Mumbai style tawa pulao is prepared from steamed rice, vegetables and Pav bhaji masala. It is very easy to prepare and tastes simply superb.
Serves 3 to 4 peoples
- 1 cup - Basmati rice
- 1 cup - Mixed vegetables (Carrot, beans, potato, green peas)
- 1 no - Onion (chopped finely)
- 1 no - Tomato (chopped finely)
- 1 tsp - Ginger garlic paste
- 1/2 tsp - Red chilli powder (or add as needed)
- 1/2 to 1 tsp - Pav bhaji masala
- 1/4 tsp - Turmeric powder
- Coriander leaves for garnishing
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp - Butter
- 1/2 tsp - Cumin seeds
- Wash and chop vegetables into small pieces as shown in the picture. Then pressure cook them in enough water for 1 or 2 whistles or until well cooked. Set it aside.
- Wash and pressure cook basmati rice in enough water along with little salt and few drops of oil, cook until well cooked and allow them to cool completely.
- Heat butter in a pan, season with cumin seeds, followed by onion and ginger garlic paste, saute until translucent.
- Now add tomatoes and cook until mushy. Then add cooked vegetables and all masala powders along with required salt, cook until raw smell goes.
- Add cooked and cooled rice to this masala paste, mix well to coat rice with masala's. Sprinkle chopped coriander leaves on top and serve hot with any raita of your choice.
- You can add green capsicum in this recipe.
- Do not over cook rice, cook perfectly with enough water(1 :1 1/2 ratio) and using fork carefully remove cooked rice from the pressure cooker. Spread it over a plate and allow them to cool completely.
- Original recipe calls for chilli garlic paste at the time of seasoning. If you prefer you can use it.
- You can easily find ready made Pav bhaji masala in any Indian grocery store.
- If you prefer you can add few drops of lemon juice along with coriander leaves.