Paneer kheer or payasam is an easy and tasty kheer prepared with paneer and milk, which is garnished with cardamom and chopped nuts. Serve warm or cold.
- 1 cup – Paneer grated
- 3 cups – Milk (i used 2%)
- 5 to 6 tbsps – Sugar (or as needed)
- 2 nos – Cardamom (crushed)
- Few saffron threads
- 4 to 5 nos – Chopped nuts (i used almonds, pistachio)
- 1 tsp – Rose essence (optional)
- Take a hard bottomed vessel, add milk and bring it to boil over medium flame. Then reduce the flame to low and boil milk until it thickens a bit (about 10 mins). Keep stirring the milk at regular intervals when its simmering.
- Now add sugar and continue to cook further for 5 minutes. Add crushed cardamom and mix well.
- Add grated paneer, chopped nuts and saffron, mix well and simmer for 3 to 4 minutes on a low flame till the grated paneer gets cooked and kheer becomes slightly thick. Finally add rose essence, mix well and switch off the stove.
- Serve warm or cold. While serving you may garnish the paneer kheer with few saffron strands or chopped nuts.
- You may use crumbled or grated paneer as an alternative.
- You may use freshly made paneer for even more delicious kheer.
- Paneer kheer tends to thicken as it cools down. So dilute it by adding more milk and required sugar while serving.
- Also never boil the kheer for long time after adding paneer otherwise paneer may became rubbery.