Tofu bhurji is a healthy side dish prepared with scrambled tofu along with other spices, that goes very well with roti or paratha. I am not a big fan of tofu but my friend suggested me to try bhurji with tofu. It was a big surprise to me because it was tasting delicious and I would say better than paneer bhurji.
Serves 3 to 4
- 350 gm / 1 packet – Extra firm tofu
- 1/4 cup – Green peas (fresh / frozen)
- 1 big – Onion (chopped finely)
- 1 big – Tomato (chopped finely)
- 1 tsp – Ginger garlic paste
- 1/4 tsp – Turmeric powder
- 1 tsp – Red chilli powder (or add as needed)
- 1 1/2 tsp – Coriander powder
- 1/4 tsp – Garam masala powder
- Coriander leaves chopped for garnishing
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp – Oil
- 1/2 tsp – Cumin seeds / jeera
- 1 pinch – Asafoetida
- Once you open tofu pack, drain all water by squeezing them and rinse tofu well in a running water. Pat dry with kitchen towel or paper towel to remove excess water. Scramble tofu with hand and keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a pan, season it with cumin seeds and asafoetida. Now add the chopped onions along with little salt and fry till they become soft. Then add ginger garlic paste and fry for few seconds.
- Add chopped tomato and fry till the tomatoes become soft. Now add the turmeric powder, red chili powder, coriander powder and garam masala, saute until raw smell of masala powder goes away.
- Add green peas and cook for 1 to 2 minutes. Then add the scrambled tofu and rquired salt, mix well and cook for 3 to 4 minutes. Tofu won’t take long time to cook, so keep eye on them.
- Finally garnish with coriander leaves and switch off the stove. Serve tofu bhurji with any rotis or parathas, also as a side dish with dal rice.
- Squeezing tofu completely before cooking, helps to get rid of the raw smell from tofu.
- Tofu takes very less time to cook, so do not cook for long time.
- You may increase or decrease amount of red chilli powder as per your spice level.