Sesame seeds are believed to possess magical powers because of its amazing health benefits.They are good in anti-oxidants, dietary fiber, vitamins, and minerals etc. Sesame is one of the oldest products cultivated since the olden times, and is said to be one of the oldest seasonings used.
- 1 cup – Boiled rice
- 1 1/2 tbsp - White Sesame seeds
- 1 tbsp - Whole Urad dal
- 1 tsp - Cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp - Whole black pepper
- 2 or 3 nos - Red chilies
- 2 tsp – Ghee
- Salt as needed
- 1 tbsp – Sesame oil
- 1 tsp - Mustard seeds
- 1 tsp – Split black gram (ulunthu)
- 1 tbsp – Bengal gram (kadalai paruppu)
- 2 nos – Dry red chilies
- 5 or 6 nos - Curry leaves
- Wash and cook rice. Spread cooked rice on a wide bowl and let it cool completely.
- Heat a pan, dry roast sesame seeds and keep it aside. In the same pan,dry roast urad dal, red chilies, cumin seeds and pepper each separately.Grind it coarsely with required salt. Keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a pan, splutter mustard seeds, split black gram, bengal gram, dry red chili and curry leaves. Then add cooked rice and required sesame seed powder, mix everything well together along with 2 tsp of ghee. Serve hot with appalam.
- Here I used boiled rice for this recipe.You can also use basmati rice.