Chole masala / Chick peas curry is a popular vegetable dish in Indian cuisine. It goes well with poori, chappathi and battura.
- 1 cup - White Chick peas
- ½ no – Onion (chopped finely)
- ½ no – Tomato (chopped finely)
- 1 tsp - Ginger garlic paste
- 1 ½ tsp - Red chili powder (as needed)
- 1 tsp - Garam masala / Chole masala powder
- ¼ tsp -Turmeric powder
- 2 tbsp - Coriander leaves (chopped finely)
- Salt as needed
- 1 tbsp - Oil /Butter
- 1 tsp – Cumin seeds
For grinding :
- 1 no - Tomato
- 1 no - Onion
- 1 piece - Clove
- 1 no - Cinnamon
- 1 tsp – Fennel seeds
- 2 tbsp -Boiled chick peas [No need to fry]
- Wash and soak chickpeas overnight and pressure cook for up to 5 or 6 whistles. keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a pan, fry all the ingredients given ‘for grinding' except boiled chick peas for few minutes and then grind it to a thick paste along with boiled chick peas and keep it aside.
- In the same pan with remaining oil /butter, splutter cumin seeds and then add ginger garlic paste fry till raw smell goes. Now add onion along with salt and fry till transparent.
- Add tomatoes saute for few minutes. Add red chili powder, turmeric powder and garam masala/chole masala powder, mix well and saute until raw smell goes.
- Now add ground tomato onion paste and fry over low flame for 3 minutes. Add 1 cup water and cooked chick peas to the gravy. Cover with lid and cook for 5-10 mins or until gravy gets desired consistency.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot with Chappathi and poori.