Egg rice is a kids friendly rice dish prepared with eggs, green peas, spring onion and other spices. It is very mild, flavourful and tasty rice which kids will enjoy for sure.
Serves 2 to 3
- 1 cup – Basmati rice
- 3 nos – Egg
- 1 no – Onion (sliced lengthwise)
- 1/4 cup – Green peas ( i used frozen)
- 4 tbsp – Chopped spring onion
- 2 or 3 nos – Green chillies (or use as needed)
- 1/8 tsp – Turmeric powder
- 1/4 tsp – Red chilli powder
- 1/8 tsp – Garam masala powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp – Oil
- 1 tsp - Ghee
- 1/4 tsp – Fennel seeds / sombu
- 1 pinch – Asafoetida
- Wash and soak basmati rice for 30 mins. Pressure cook soaked rice along with required salt (1 cup : 1 1/2 cup water) for 2 to 3 whistles or until well cooked. Allow them to cool completely and set aside.
- Take a small mixing bowl, add eggs, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, garam masala powder and required salt, mix well thoroughly without any lumps and set it aside.
- Heat oil and ghee in a pan, season it with fennel seeds and asafoetida. Followed by chopped onion, green chillies and required salt, saute until they are golden brown in color.
- Now add egg mixture and give a quick mix. Immediately add cooked green peas and half of chopped spring onions, mix well like a scrambled egg.
- Add cooked and cooled rice, mix well nicely so that rice is well coated with egg mixture. Check for salt, if required add more. Finally garnish with rest of the chopped spring onion and serve it immediately.
- Rice should not be over cooked. You can use a day old rice or left over rice for this recipe.
- Do not over cook the egg mixture, otherwise it will became hard and dry. It should be like scrambled egg.
- Since i used frozen green peas, i added it directly without cooking it. If you use fresh green peas, you should cook it before you add it to the dish.