Paneer butter masala is one of the most popular paneer recipes in Indian cuisine. Perfect combination of spiciness and creaminess of this masala makes it simply irresistible and yummy. It can be served with any Indian bread and pulao.
Serves 4 people
- 20 pieces – Paneer
- 1 no – Onion
- 2 nos – Tomato (medium)
- 3 nos – Garlic
- 1 tbsp – Ginger chopped
- 1 no – Green chillies
- 10 nos – Cashew nuts
- 1/4 tsp – Turmeric powder
- 1 to 1 1/2 tsp – Red chilli powder ( or add as needed)
- 2 tsp – Coriander powder
- 1/4 tsp – Garam masala powder
- 1/8 tsp – Kasuri methi / dried fenugreek leaves
- 2 tbsp – Fresh cream ( i used 35 % whipping cream)
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp – Oil and butter
- 1 no – Bay leaf
- Grind onion, ginger and garlic in a mixer grinder to make onion paste.
- Soak cashew nuts in little water for 15 mins and grind them with 2 tbsps of water to make cashew nut paste.
- Blanch the tomatoes and blend them to prepare tomato puree. Set it aside.
- Cut paneer in to desire shape like cubes or triangles and fry them in little ghee until they are slightly brown in color. Remove from pan and soak them in warm water until you use them for cooking.
- Heat oil and butter in a pan, season it with bay leaf and followed by onion paste, saute until raw smell goes.
- Then add tomato puree and cook until oil starts to separate from the puree, it will take around 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add turmeric powder, red chilli powder, coriander powder, garam masala powder and mix well, cook until raw smell goes.
- Now add cashew paste, stir and cook for 2 minutes. Add 1 to 1 1/2 cup of water and required salt, mix well and bring it to rolling boil.
- Add paneer cubes, kasuri methi and garam masala powder, cook for 2 minutes or until you get the desired consistency of gravy.
- Finally add fresh cream, mix well and switch off the stove. Paneer butter masala is ready and serve with naan, roti and pulao.
- You can add paneer directly to this dish instead of frying them in ghee.
- Keep onion paste, tomato puree and cashew paste ready before you start making this gravy. It saves lot of time.
- How to Blanch tomatoes? Take tomatoes and slightly cut it in middle ( not deep cut). Add tomatoes in hot boiling water and cook for few minutes until you see skin is open. Remove tomatoes from hot water and place them in cold water for 2-minutes. Drain water and transfer to a plate. Peel the skin, cut them into halves and remove the stem. Grind them to puree.
- You can replace paneer with tofu in this recipe.