- 3 nos – Bitter gourd (pavakkai)
- 10 nos – Sambar onion(small onion)
- 1 or 2 – Green chili
- 1 no –Tamarind (gooseberry)
- 1/4 tsp – Turmeric powder
- 2 tsp – Red chili powder
- 1 tbsp – Jaggery
- 1 cup - Water
- Salt as needed
- 2 tsp – Oil
- 1/4 tsp – Mustard seeds
- 4 or 5 – Curry leaves
- Chop bitter gourd (little bigger pieces) and small onions.Soak tamarind in warm water and squeeze of the pulp.Keep it aside.
- Heat a pan add small onions, green chili, bottle gourd, turmeric, red chili powder, tamarind juice,water and required salt cover with lid and cook for 10 minutes or until bitter gourd cooks.
- Simmer until gravy is thickened.Finally add jaggery and switch off the stove after 2 minutes.
- Heat oil in a pan,splutter mustard and curry leaves. Add this seasoning to the Bitter gourd mixture. Serve hot with white rice and paruppu(dhal).
- There is another way of preparing this dish where you have to pressure cook bitter gourd,onion,green chili,tamarind juice,red chili powder,turmeric,water and salt for up to 2 whistle.
- Season it with mustard,split black gram and curry leaves.Then add bitter gourd mixture along with jaggery and cook until gravy is thickened.