I wish all my readers and blogger friends a very HAPPY PONGAL. I am posting Godhumai rava sakkarai pongal on the occasion of pongal festival 2016. Broken wheat is also called as cracked wheat, godhumai rava, dhalia etc, which got immense health benefits. I did try this godhumai rava sweet pongal for the very first time and it tasted as good as our regular sakkarai pongal. Eat healthy and enjoy your festival. Check other sweet pongal recipes below:
Serves 4 to 5 people
Serves 4 to 5 people
- 1 cup – Broken wheat / cracked wheat / godhumai rava / dhalia
- 1/2 cup – Split green gram / paasi paruppu / moong dal
- 1/2 to 1 cup – Jaggery ( grated or powdered)
- 1/4 tsp – Cardamom powder
- 1/4 cup – Milk (lukewarm)
- 5 to 6 tbsp – Ghee ( or as needed)
- 10 nos – Cashew nuts
- 10 nos – Raisin
- Heat ghee in a pan, fry cashew nuts and raisins to a golden brown color, set aside.
- Heat a pan, add jaggery and little water to cover, bring it to boil until jaggery dissolves completely. Filter the impurities and set it aside.
- Take a pressure cooker, roast the paasi paruppu / moong dal in a tsp of ghee until slightly golden brown in color. Now add broken wheat / godhumai rava to the roasted moong dal. Add 3 cups of water and a pinch of salt to it, mix well and cook for 1 to 2 whistles or until well cooked.
- Once broken wheat and moong dal mixture is cooked, mash it slightly. Now add milk and mix well.
- Add jaggery syrup and stir it continuously over medium heat. Add ghee little by little and cook until you reach desire consistency. Finally add fried cashew nuts and raisin, cardamom powder along with ghee, mix well. Serve hot with ghee on top.
- Adding milk in this recipe helps the pongal to stay soft for long time.
- You can increase or decrease the quantity of jaggery as per your sweet level.
- Broken wheat / godhumai rava takes very less time to cook. For me 2 whistle was perfect for rava to cook.
- You can also open cook this sakkarai pongal by following the same recipe.
Technorati Tags: Sakkarai pongal,cracked wheat sweet pongal,broken wheat sakkarai pongal,pongal recipes,pongal festival recipes,sweet recipes,festival recipes,godhumai rava recipes.Sakkarai pongal,cracked wheat sweet pongal,broken wheat sakkarai pongal,pongal recipes,pongal festival recipes,sweet recipes,festival recipes,godhumai rava recipes.