Carrot cake with vanilla glaze is a moist and flavourful cake prepared with grated carrots, egg and flour, which is coated with vanilla glaze for exotic taste. First time i prepared cake with egg as per my husband request, which came out very soft and moist, tasted very good. Christmas is nearing and it is one of the best cakes that you can make it for your family and friends.
Serves 4 to 5 people
- 1 cup - All purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cup - Carrot grated
- 3/4 cup - Sugar
- 1/2 cup - Butter (melted butter)
- 2 nos - Egg
- 3/4 tsp – Ground cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp - Baking powder
- 1/2 tsp - Baking soda
- 1 tsp - Vanilla essence
- 1/4 tsp – Salt
- 1/2 cup - Walnuts and almonds (mixed)
- 1 cup – Icing sugar
- 1 tsp – Vanilla essence
- 1 tsp – Melted butter
- 2 to 3 tbsp – Milk (or add as required)
- Toast the walnuts and almonds for about 8 mins or until lightly browned and fragrant. Allow them to cool completely and then chop them coarsely.
- Take a mixing bowl, add all purpose flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon powder and salt, mix well and keep it aside.
- In another mixing bowl, add egg and beat them well until frothy for about 1 minute. Gradually add sugar and beat until the batter is thick and light colored for about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Now add melted butter and vanilla essence, once again beat them well. Add the flour mixture and beat just until incorporated.
- Then add grated carrot and chopped nuts, do not use beater at this stage. Take spatula fold in the grated carrots and chopped nuts ( use 1/2 cup of chopped nuts and use remaining for decorating the cake).
- Preheat oven for 350 F or 180 C, meanwhile grease and dust a cake pan with flour. Pour the batter to it and bake it for 25 to 30 mins or until well cooked. You can check it by inserting tooth pick, it should come out clean. Allow the cake to cool in the pan at least 15 minutes then remove the cake. Your carrot cake is ready.
Making of vanilla glaze and decorating:
- Take a mixing bowl, add icing sugar, butter, vanilla essence and milk (do not add all the milk at a time, add little by little), mix well until you get slightly running consistency.
- If the end result is too runny, add a few tablespoons more of icing sugar until desired thickness. So it is very important to add milk as needed.
- Now pour this on top of the cooled cake as shown in the picture and sprinkle chopped nuts. Allow them to cool and serve.
- Baking time differs depend on the oven you are using. Mine took 30 mins to cook completely.
- You can replace melted butter with olive oil or any other oil.
- You can increase or decrease sugar as per your taste. 3/4 sugar was little less for the cake but when we had it with vanilla glaze, we felt it was perfect sugar.
- You can make this cake without egg, just exclude egg in this recipe and continue with rest of the ingredients.
- After pouring vanilla glaze over cake, allow them to cool completely and it will get dried. Then clean extra glaze around the cake and serve.