Delicious and flavorful chicken biryani prepared in a pressure cooker. I have already posted chicken biryani recipe that is slightly different from what I had prepared now.
Serves 2 to 3
- 1 cup – Basmati rice
- 1/4 kg – Chicken with bones (cleaned)
- 1 no – Onion (sliced lengthwise)
- 1 medium – Tomato (chopped)
- 1 tsp – Ginger garlic paste
- 2 no's – Green chillies
- 1/8 tsp – Turmeric powder
- 1 tsp – Red chilli powder
- 2 tsp – Coriander powder
- 1/4 tsp – Garam masala powder
- 2 tbsp – Curd / yogurt
- 1/2 tsp – Lemon juice
- 1 1/2 cup – Water
- 1 1/2 tbsp – Chopped coriander leaves
- 1 1/2 tbsp – Chopped mint leaves
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp - Oil
- 1 tbsp - butter
- 2 no’s - Clove
- 1 no - Cinnamon piece
- 1 no - Cardamom
- 2 no - Bay leaf
- 1/4 tsp - Fennel seeds
- 1/4 tsp – Cumin seeds
- 4 to 5 no’s – Cashew nuts
- Wash and soak basmati rice for 20 to 30 mins, drain water completely and set it aside.
- Wash chicken and marinate it with turmeric powder and little salt. Set it aside.
- Heat oil and ghee in a pressure cooker, season it with items given in the list for seasoning. Add onion along with green chillies and little salt, saute until they are slightly golden brown in color.
- Followed by yogurt and 1/2 of chopped coriander and mint leaves, saute for a second. Now add chopped tomato, saute until mushy.
- Add chicken along with little salt, mix well and saute for 1 or 2 minutes. Followed by turmeric powder, red chilli powder,coriander powder, garam masala powder, mix well and cover with lid. Allow them to cook for 10 or more mins till the chicken is well coated in the masala.
- Pour in 1 1/2 cups of water, remaining coriander and mint leaves, lemon juice and required salt, mix well and bring it to boil.
- Add soaked rice and required salt, mix well thoroughly. Allow them to cook until rice is 3/4 done. Cover with lid and pressure cook them for about 1 whistle or for 5 minutes or until well cooked. Allow them to cool completely and serve it with any raita.
- Marinating chicken is very important to get soft and juicy chicken.
- Do not over cook or under basmati rice. Add perfect water ratio 1:1 1/2 and make it fluffy.
- Increase or decrease number of green chillies as per your spice level.
- You may increase or decrease the quantity of red chilli powder as per your spice level.
- Always wash chicken in lemon juice once or twice in order to avoid the stinky smell from chicken (kavuchi smell).