Butter murukku is an easy and crispy snack prepared with rice flour, besan, butter and roasted bengal gram. You can prepare this murukku for Diwali and i have also posted other murukku recipes like plain murukku, mullu murukku and ribbon pakoda. Please try them and enjoy your Diwali with yummy snacks and sweets.
- 1 cup – Rice flour ( i used store bought)
- 2 tbsp – Gram flour / besan / kadalai mavvu
- 1 tbsp – Roasted bengal gram flour / Pottukadalai mavvu
- 1 1/2 tbsp – Butter
- 1/4 tsp – Cumin seeds
- 2 pinches – Asafoetida
- Salt as needed
- Oil for deep frying
- For roasted bengal gram powder, grind little roasted bengal gram in a mixer grinder to a smooth powder. Set aside.
- Heat a pan, dry roast gram flour/ besan / kadalai mavvu for a minutes or until raw smell goes. Now sieve together rice flour, gram flour / besan and ground roasted bengal gram together.
- Taking a mixing bowl, add rice flour, besan and bengal gram powder, cumin seeds, asafoetida, salt and mix well. Then add butter and required water to make this into a soft pliable dough.
- Heat oil in frying pan, fill the murukku press with this dough with 1 star murukku hole plate. Grease ladle with little oil and make shape as shown in the picture and then drop them in oil.
- Deep fry them over medium flame to slightly golden brown. Use paper towel to remove excess oil. After murukku is cool down store in an airtight container.
- You need to wait till bubbles stop to make sure Murukku is well cooked.
- The dough has to be in a correct consistency,should not be sticky or too hard.
- Butter is must ingredient in this recipe since it helps the murukku to stay crispy for long.
- You can also use 3 star murukku moulding instead of 1 star mould.
- You can use any moulding but i tried to use star moulding.