Poha khichdi is one of the healthy and easy breakfast that takes only 10 minutes to prepare if everything is ready. You can also have it as a evening snacks for school going kids.
Serves 2 to 3
- 1 cup – Poha / Aval / Flattened rice (thick variety)
- 1 small – Potato
- 2 to 3 tbsp – Peanuts
- 1/2 tsp – Ginger chopped
- 1 or 2 no’s – Green chillies (chopped)
- 1/4 tsp – Turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp – Cumin seeds / jeera
- 1 tbsp – Coriander leaves chopped
- Pinch of sugar
- Salt to taste
- 2 tsp – Oil or ghee
- Heat a pan, dry roast the peanuts until they are well roasted. Once cooled, crush them well with your hands to remove the skin. Grind it to a coarse powder in a mortar-pestle or in a dry grinder, Set it aside.
- Cook potatoes in a sauce pan with enough water or microwave it until well cooked. Allow them to cool and chop them into small cubes, set it aside.
- Wash poha for 2 times and drain it in a colander. Let it sit for 10 minutes.
- Heat oil / ghee in a pan, season with cumin seeds, green chillies and chopped ginger, saute for few seconds. Followed by chopped potatoes and turmeric powder, saute until potatoes are slightly brown.
- Now add soaked poha, required salt and sugar, mix well everything gently without mashing poha. Cover with lid and cook for 2 to 3 minutes until poha is well cooked. Do not over cook.
- Finally garnish with coriander leaves, crushed peanuts, and lemon juice (optional), serve hot.
- Do not over cook poha, as it will break and spoil the texture of the khichdi.
- If you prefer you may add little grated coconut to garnish the khichdi.
Technorati Tags: Poha recipes,aval recipes,breakfast recipes,breakfast,Poha khichdi,aaval khichdi,aaval upma,aval kichadi,poha kichadi,kichadi recipes,evening snacks,vrat recipes,North Indian recipes.,North Indian breakfast and dinner,Quick recipes,Indian recipes,Quick breakfast recipes,upma recipes.