Baingan bharta is a popular Punjabi dish usually served with roti. I have seen people prepare it in different style though the ingredient is going to be the same. Here is my version of preparing this dish.
- 2 nos – Eggplant / brinjals (medium sized)
- 1/4 cup – Green peas
- 1 no – Onion (chopped finely)
- 1 no – Tomato (chopped finely)
- 1 no – Green chilli (chopped)
- 1 1/2 tsp – Ginger (chopped finely)
- 1/4 tsp – Turmeric powder
- 1 tsp – Red chilli powder
- 2 tsp – Coriander powder
- 1 tbsp – Coriander leaves chopped
- Salt as needed
- 1 tbsp – Oil
- 1/4 tsp – Mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp – Split black gram
- 1/4 tsp – Cumin seeds
- 4 or 5 nos – Curry leaves
- 1 pinch – Asafoetida
- Wash, pat dry and prick eggplants. Roast them over open flame or in a preheated oven until the skin shrinks and starts peeling off. You have to rotate the eggplant now and then for even roasting.
- Slowly you will see change in eggplant color. Check with knife, if it is cooked completely remove from fire or oven and cool down. Peel off the skin and chop into fine pieces.
- Heat oil in a pan, season with items given in the list for seasonings. Add onion, chopped ginger and green chillies, saute until translucent. Add tomatoes along with salt and cook on medium heat until mushy or till oil separates.
- Add red chilli powder, turmeric powder and coriander powder, saute until raw smell goes. Now add green peas and chopped roasted eggplants, mix well together and saute for few seconds.
- Add 1/2 cup water and cook for six to seven minutes over medium heat, stir continuously until it reaches to gravy consistency. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve hot with chappathi.
- Since I had electric stove so i used oven for roasting eggplant.
- Adding green peas is completely optional but using it add more flavor to the dish.