Tutti frutti cake has been my favorite ever since i was a kid. It is eggless, moist and yummy cake prepared with tutti frutti as a main ingredient. Tutti frutti are candied dried papaya comes in different colors like green, red and yellow etc, which are very popular in India. Recently i bought this tutti frutti from Indian grocery store to try out recipes with it.
Serves 5 or more
- 1 1/2 – All purpose flour (Additional 2 tsp to coat the cake pan and tutti frutti)
- 1 cup – Sugar (powered)
- 1 cup – Curd / Yogurt (beaten at room temperature)
- 1/2 cup – Tutti frutti
- 1/2 cup – Butter (melted, room temperature) / oil
- 1 1/4 tsp – Baking powder
- 1/2 tsp – Baking soda
- 2 tsp – Vanilla essence
- 1 tsp – Milk (to brush the cake)
- 1/8 tsp – Salt
- Sieve all purpose flour for a couple of times and add salt to it, Set it aside. Coat tutti frutti with all purpose flour and mix well to prevent tutti frutti to settle down at the bottom.
- Take a mixing bowl, beat curd until smooth. Add powdered sugar to it and beat again for 2 to 3 times. Add baking powder and baking soda to the curd mixture and mix well. Leave it aside for 2 to 3 minutes.
- The curd mixture will become frothy and increase in volume. Now add vanilla essence and melted butter to the curd mixture and mix it gently. Make sure that the air in the mixture is not lost.
- Now add all purpose flour to the curd mixture and gently fold the flour to incorporate. Do not stir vigorously as it will loose air in the mixture and cake will not fluff up.
- Add tutti frutti to the batter and fold it nicely. Pour this batter into prepared cake pan and keep it ready.
- Meanwhile preheat oven for 350 F or 180 C, bake it for 35 to 40 minutes or until a tooth pick or skewer comes out clean. After that brush the top of the cake with milk and put it back in the oven for just 2 minutes. This gives shiny look on top of the cake. Eggless tutti frutti cake is ready.
- Once batter is ready, do not keep the batter outside for long time. Immediately place it in the oven for baking.
- Please do not be tempted to open the oven door for at least the first 30 minutes.
- Brushing cake with milk is to make the cake look shiny on top, which is completely optional. If you do not prefer then skip that process.