Kothavarangai / cluster beans stir fry is prepared by marinating kothavarangai with onion, tomato and other spices. It comes out perfectly every time.
Serves 2 to 3
Serves 2 to 3
- 2 cups – Kothavarangai / Cluster beans ( chopped as in picture)
- 1 no – Onion ( medium sized, chopped)
- 1/2 no – Tomato (chopped finely)
- 1/4 tsp – Turmeric powder
- 1/2 to 1 tsp – Red chilli powder ( I used sambar powder)
- Salt as needed
- 2 tsp – Oil
- 1/4 tsp – Mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp – Split black gram / Ulunthu
- 1/4 tsp – Cumin seeds
- 4 nos – Curry leaves
- 1 pinch – Asafoetida
- Take a mixing bowl, add chopped kothavarangai / cluster beans, onion, tomato, turmeric powder, red chilli powder and required salt, mix everything well. Use your hands to mash the tomatoes thoroughly.
- Set this marinated kothavarangai / cluster beans away for 10 mins so that masala will blend well.
- Heat oil in a pan, season with items given in the list for seasoning. Add marinated kothavarangai / cluster beans and saute for few seconds. Then add 1/4 cup water (or as needed) and cover with lid, cook until well cooked and the water is completely absorbed. At this stage check salt level and add more If needed. Switch off the stove and serve hot with white rice and sambar.
- You can prepare this stir fry in a different method too that is after seasoning, add chopped onion, followed by chopped tomatoes, avarakkai and all other masala. But I prefer marinating method because it tastes too good.
- You can increase or decrease the amount of water as needed.
- You may increase or decrease quantity of red chilli powder as per your spice level.