Mor rasam or buttermilk rasam is prepared with sour curd and freshly ground masala powder which goes well with white rice and appalam.
- 1 cup – yogurt / sour curd
- 1/4 tsp – Turmeric powder
- Salt as needed
- 2 tsp – Red gram / toor dhal / thuvaram paruppu
- 1/4 tsp – Peppercorn
- 1/2 tsp – Coriander seeds
- 1 tsp – Cumin seeds
- 1 tsp – Oil
- 1/4 tsp – Mustard seeds
- 2 nos – Dry red chillies
- 4 or 5 nos – Curry leaves
- 1 pinch – Asafoetida
- Dry roast red gram, peppercorn, coriander seeds and cumin seeds until golden brown. Allow them to cool and grind them in a mixer grinder to a fine powder.
- Take a mixing bowl, add curd and beat well until smooth and add one more cup of water. Mix the ground ingredients with the curd.
- Transfer curd mixture to a vessel, allow it to cook until one boil not more than that (like mor kuzhambu). When bubbles start appearing, switch it off. Finally season with items given in the list for seasoning. Simple mor rasam is ready and serve hot with white rice.
- You can also add water while grinding roasted masala.
- Do not vigorously boil curd mixture, you should bring it to one boil like mor kuzhambu and immediately switch off the stove.