Kadalai pakoda or masala peanuts is a popular evening snack prepared with peanuts and gram flour masala. I used to have this as a evening snacks during my school days. My husband is a big fan of this kadalai pakoda, he was asking for this long back. I just tried with the ingredients which my taste buds remember and it came out good. Here is the recipe for this yummy quick snack.
- 1 cup – Roasted peanuts
- 1/4 cup – Gram flour / besan / kadalai maavu
- 1 1/2 tbsp – Rice flour
- 1/2 tsp – Red chilli powder (or add as needed)
- 2 to 3 nos – Garlic (with skin)
- 2 pinch – Asafoetida
- 10 nos – Curry leaves
- Salt as needed
- Oil for deep frying
- Grind garlic clove in a mixer grinder to a coarse paste, set aside.
- Take a mixing bowl, add roasted peanuts, gram flour, rice flour, red chilli powder, crushed garlic, asafoetida and required salt, mix well everything together.
- Sprinkle little water and mix well gently with your fingers until each nut is coated with gram flour mixture. Check for salt and if needed add more.
- Deep fry them in oil over medium flame and try to separate peanuts as much as possible while adding them in oil. Cook until they are well cooked and golden brown in color. Drain it in a paper towel, cool down and store it in an airtight container.
- Fry curry leaves in hot oil till crispy. Sprinkle fried curry leaves over kadalai pakoda. Serve kadalai pakoda as an evening snack with hot tea.
- Deep frying them in medium flame is very important. Otherwise it might get burnt easily and taste bitter.
- If you taste them as soon as you take out from oil it might not be crunchy. Allow it to cool and then taste it.
- Add water just enough to coat the peanuts with masala.