Wheat appam is one of my favorite sweets prepared by my mom. Best evening snack for school going kids.
- 2 cups – Whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup – Rava / Sooji
- 1 cup – Jaggery (as per your sweet level)
- 2 nos – Cardamom (crush it)
- 1 pinch – Salt
- 1 pinch – Baking soda
- Water as needed
- Oil for deep frying
- Heat a pan, place jaggery in a cup of water and bring it to a boil, cook until jaggery dissolves completely. You don’t have to bring it to string consistency. When it boils, remove from flame and strain to remove all the impurities. Allow them to cool.
- Take a wide bowl, add whole wheat flour, rava, jaggery syrup, crushed cardamom, pinch of salt, baking soda, water as needed and mix everything well without any lumps. Consistency should be like idly batter or pouring consistency (as shown in picture).
- Heat oil in a frying pan, pour a ladle of batter and fry over medium flame until appam gets golden brown on both sides. Continue the same with rest of the batter. Drain the excess oil and serve hot.
- You can also substitute jaggery with sugar.
- Consistency of batter should not be too thick or too thin. It should be in pouring consistency like idly flour.