Kootu is a South Indian style sidedish prepared with dal, vegetable and ground coconut masala. I have prepared kootu with yellow pumpkin / parangikai and served along with vendhaya kuzhambu, rasam, soya chunk podimas.
Serves 3 to 4
- 1/4 cup – Split green gram / Moong dal / Paasi paruppu
- 2 cups – Yellow pumpkin / parangikai (chopped into slight small cubes)
- 1/4 tsp – Turmeric powder
- 1 clove – Garlic
- Salt to taste
- 4 tbsp – Coconut grated
- 1/2 tsp – Cumin seeds / jeera
- 2 to 3 nos – Green chillies (or add as needed)
- 1 tsp – Oil
- 1/4 tsp – Mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp – Split black gram / Ulunthu
- 2 nos – Dry red chillies
- 4 to 5 nos – Fresh curry leaves
- 2 pinches – Asafoetida
- Wash and pressure cook moong dal / paasi paruppu in enough water along with little turmeric powder and garlic, until they are well cooked. Keep it aside.
- Take a pan, add chopped yellow pumpkin, turmeric powder, little salt and water, cook until they are half cooked.
- Add cooked moong dal / paasi paruppu and continue cooking for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Meanwhile grind the items given in the list for grinding to a fine paste, set it aside.
- Now add this ground coconut paste to the cooking pumpkin and dal mixture. Mix well and check for salt, if required add more. Cook till pumpkin is well cooked and when you reach desired consistency, switch off the stove.
- Finally season it with items given in the list for seasonings. Parangikai kootu is ready, serve it with hot rice and any puli kuzhambu of your choice.
- Add less water while cooking pumpkin, otherwise kootu will become watery. Kootu has to be slightly thick.
- You may increase or decrease number of green chillies as per your spice level.
- You may replace moong dal / paasi paruppu with toor dal / thuvaram paruppu.