Pal kova is a popular sweet and every one knows it is a time consuming process. Srivilliputtur a town in Tamilnadu is famous for palkova and one of my favourite sweet of all. I am very lucky that i am married to a person from Srivilliputtur and got opportunity to taste this popular sweet from an authentic store. Coming to the recipe, i have already posted Microwave palkova, which is very easy to make and takes just 10 minutes to prepare. But in this recipe, palkova is made from scratch. Here comes the recipe.
Yields : 1 cup of palkova
Preparation time : 1 1/2 hours
- 1 litre - Milk (Whole milk)
- 1/4 cup - Sugar (or add as needed)
- Take a hard bottomed vessel, add milk and bring it to boil over medium flame.
- Reduce the flame to low, keep stirring every 10 minutes and scrap the sides of the pan. Make sure that the milk does not get burnt at the bottom.
- After sometime, color of milk changes to slightly yellowish and it starts to get thick and sticky. Once it starts solidifying, add sugar and stir continuously, after adding sugar it becomes little watery.
- Keep on stirring until the milk solidifies and starts leaving the sides of the pan. Switch off the stove and once it cools it will thicken further. Hot and yummy palkova is ready to serve.
- I used whole milk, full fat milk is preferable as it will take less time to condense.
- Do not forget to stir the milk every 10 minutes, otherwise milk will get burnt and it will spoil the taste.
- You can increase or decrease sugar as per your taste. I used 1/4 cup sugar that was more than enough for me.
- Do not worry about the consistency because it will get thick when it cools down.
- You need more patience to make is yummy sweet.