Puffed rice mixture or Kara pori is a spicy snack prepared with puffed rice and nuts. Best tea time snack and it is very simple recipe to prepare at home. Also it is a healthy snack choice as it is just pan fried with little oil. You can store this in an airtight container for a week or more.
- 4 cups (heaped) – Puffed rice / pori
- 5 tbsp – Roasted bengal gram / pottukadalai
- 5 tbsp – Peanuts (roasted)
- 3 tbsp – Cashew nuts (raw)
- 2 nos – Garlic crushed
- 1/8 tsp – Red chilli powder
- 1/4 tsp – Turmeric powder
- Salt as needed
- 2 tsp – Oil
- 2 nos – Dried red chillies
- 10 nos – Fresh curry leaves
- Heat oil in a pan, add red chillies and curry leaves, saute for few seconds. Always keep the flame in medium.
- Add cashews nuts, followed by roasted bengal gram and peanuts along with crushed garlic, saute until they are slightly golden brown. Then add turmeric powder and red chilli powder, saute for few seconds or until raw smell goes.
- Now reduce flame to low, add puffed rice / pori little by little and keep stirring until pori pieces are well coated with the turmeric, red chilli powder and oil. Keep stirring continuously for 5 to 7 mins until pori becomes crispy. Finally add required salt and mix well.
- Allow them to cool and store it in an airtight container for a week or more. Best tea time snack kara pori is ready to serve.
- I used roasted peanuts here. If you have raw peanuts, then add it as the first thing before adding red chillies and curry leaves.
- Do not burn roasted bengal gram, cashew nuts and peanuts by over frying it.