Sambar is a very popular dish in southern regions of India especially in Tamil Nadu. Sambar with rice is one of the main courses of both formal and everyday south Indian cuisine. Sambar is also served for lunch and dinner, commonly with idly, vada or dosa along with two chutneys. Arachuvitta sambar is one of the different styles in south India which will be prepared using freshly ground masala and not using any ready made masala powder.
- 1/2 cup – Split red gram (Thuvaram paruppu/toor dhal)
- 1 cup – Pumpkin (cut into big cutes)
- 6 or 7 – Sambar onion (small onion)
- 1 big – Tomato
- 1 no – Green chili
- 1 no – Garlic (chopped)
- 1/4 tsp – Turmeric powder
- 2 tsp – Red chili powder
- 1 no – Tamarind ( gooseberry size)
- 1 stalk – coriander leaves
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp - Ghee
- 1 tbsp – Oil
- 1/2 tsp – Mustard seeds(kaduku)
- 1/2 tsp – cumin seeds(seeragam)
- 2 pinch – Fenugreek seeds (venthayam)
- 1 pinch – Asafoetida
- 5 no – Curry leaves
- 1 1/2 tbsp – coconut
- 2 nos – Dry red chili (as per taste)
- 1 tbsp – Coriander seeds (malli/dhania)
- 1 tsp – Split black gram (ulunthu/urad dhal)
- 1/2 tsp – Bengal gram (kadalai paruppu/channa dal)
- Heat little oil in a pan,fry all the items given for grinding except coconut until golden brown. Allow them to cool and grind it along with coconut. Keep it aside.
- Pressure cook Red gram (thuvaram paruppu),garlic,pinch turmeric,water and ghee for up to 5 or 6 whistles(depends upon the paruppu/dhal).Keep it aside.
- Soak tamarind in warm water and squeeze off the pulp.
- Heat oil in a pan,splutter mustard,cumin,fenugreek,asafoetida and curry leaves. Add onion (just remove skin), tomato, green chili, required salt and sauté for few minutes. Add pumpkin fry for sometime and then add turmeric, red chili powder and fry until raw smell goes.
- Add required water; cover and cook for 5 minutes.Then add cooked red gram(paruppu/dhal) along with tamarind juice cover and cook for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Finally add ground masala paste into this and cook for a while or until raw masala smell goes. Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot with white rice, idly or dosa.
- I have used pumpkin as main vegetable in this sambar. You can use your own choice like drumstick, brinjal etc.