Bread upma is a popular breakfast item among kids. It is simple and easy to make recipe that can be prepared in no time. Here is my way of doing it.
- 4 nos – Bread (I used whole wheat bread)
- 1 no – Onion (medium sized,chopped finely)
- 1/2 no – Tomato (chopped finely)
- 1/2 tsp – Crushed ginger
- 1 no – Green chilli (chopped)
- 1/4 tsp – Turmeric powder
- 1/4 tsp – Garam masala powder
- Salt as needed
- Coriander leaves for garnishing
- 1 tsp - Ghee
- 2 tsp – Oil
- 1/4 tsp – Mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp – Split black gram (ulunthu)
- Few curry leaves
- Chop the edges and cut the bread slices into medium sized cubes. Heat ghee in a pan, saute cubed bread slices until the bread gets roasted to slightly brown color. Set it aside.
- Heat oil in a pan, season with items given for seasoning. Add onion, green chilli, crushed ginger along with required salt and saute until translucent or golden brown.
- Add tomato, saute until massy and then add turmeric powder, garam masala powder saute until raw smell goes.
- Next add fried bread cubes, mix well and give a quick stir. Once the bread gets coated with the gravy, switch off the flame.Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot with ketchup.
- You can replace green chilli with red chilli powder.
- You can also add carrot, beans and peas to this upma.