Sambar sadham is a healthy one pot meal prepared with red gram / toor dhal and lots of vegetable, cooked till they are mushy and just melt in your mouth. Sambar sadham is usually served with raita and pickle. But i love to eat it with appalam or vadagam.
Serves 4 people
- 1 cup – Raw rice or boiled rice
- 1/2 cup – Red gram / toor dhal / thuvaram paruppu
- 1 cup – Mixed vegetables ( Carrot, potato, beans, green peas)
- 1 no – Onion (sliced lengthwise)
- 1 no – Tomato (chopped)
- 1 no – Tamarind (gooseberry)
- 1/4 tsp – Turmeric powder
- 1 tsp – Red chilli powder ( or add as needed)
- 1 tsp – Arachuvitta sambar powder
- 2 tbsp – Coriander leaves (for garnishing)
- 1 tbsp - Ghee
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp – Oil
- 1/4 tsp – Mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp – Split black gram / ulunthu
- 1/4 tsp – Cumin seeds
- 1/8 tsp – Asafoetida
- 5 to 6 nos – Fresh curry leaves
- Wash and soak rice and red gram in a same bowl for upto 2 hrs. Soak tamarind in 1 cup of warm water and squeeze out the pulp.
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker, season with items given for seasoning. Add onion and saute until slightly golden brown in color.
- Add tomato and saute until mushy. Add all vegetables and saute for 2 mins.Then add turmeric powder, red chilli powder, arachuvitta sambar powder along with required salt and saute until raw smell goes.
- Now add tamarind water (1 cup) and 2 1/2 to 3 cups of water, bring it to rolling boil. Add rice, red gram and check for salt. Close with lid and pressure cook for upto 2 or 3 whistles or until well cooked. Allow them to cool.
- Open the pressure cooker, add chopped coriander leaves and ghee, mix well. Now sambar sadham is ready and serve hot with raita and pickle or with vadagam.
- You have to soak rice and red gram for 2 hours because we want our rice and dhal to be cooked evenly.
- If you use raw rice then water ratio will be 1 cup of rice : 2 cup of water. If you use boiled rice, the ratio will be 1 cup of rice : 2 1/2 cup of water.
- Adding ghee at the last stage gives nice aroma to the sambar sadham. Do not hesitate to add ghee.
- Arachuvitta sambar powder is completely optional. you can replace it with coriander powder also.