Andhra masala powder or curry powder is a spice powder used in curries to add more flavor and taste to it. I came to know this powder from a Hyderabad friend who prepares brinjal curry and few other curries with same masala which tasted excellent. I will post recipes using this yummy powder in my up coming post.
yields around 1/2 cup of powder
- 1/4 cup – Bengal gram / kadalai paruppu
- 1/4 cup – Whole black gram without skin / Whole urad dal / ulunthu
- 5 nos – Dry red chillies / kaanja milagai
- 1 tsp – Fenugreek seeds / Vendhayam / Methi seeds
- 3 tsp – Cumin seeds / jeera
- 1/8 tsp – Asafoetida
- Take a pan, dry roast bengal gram, whole black gram without skin, dry red chillies, fenugreek seeds, cumin seeds each separately until they are slightly golden brown in color. Do not burn them because it will give bitter taste to the final product.
- Transfer roasted dry red chillies to a mixer grinder, grind it for few seconds. Then add roasted bengal gram, whole black gram without skin, fenugreek seeds, cumin seeds and finally add asafoetida, grind them to a fine powder.
- Allow them to cool completely and store them in am airtight container for future use.
- Do not burn ingredients while roasting otherwise you will get burnt smell from powder.
- I normally store this powder in an airtight container and place it in refrigerator for future use.