- 15 nos – Sambar onion (cut in to 2 pieces)
- 2 nos – Tomato (chopped)
- 1 no – Green chili
- 2 tsp – Red chili powder
- 1/2 tsp – Mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp – Split black gram (ulunthu)
- 5 nos – Curry leaves
- Salt as needed
- 2 tbsp – Oil
- 1 cup - water
- 2 tbsp – Coconut grated
- 1 or 2 clove – Garlic (small sized)
- 1 tsp – Cumin seeds
- 1/4 tsp – Poppy seeds
- 1/4 tsp – Turmeric powder
- Grind all items given for grinding in to smooth paste and keep it aside.
- Heat 1tsp oil in a pan ,add onion(keep 5 pieces for future use) fry for few seconds and then add tomatoes and required salt; cover with lid and cook for 5 to 6 minutes or until mushy.
- Add ground masala along with water at this stage and cook for 10 minutes.Meanwhile heat oil in a pan,splutter mustard seeds,split black gram(ulunthu) and curry leaves.
- Add onion and green chili sauté for few seconds. Add red chili powder fry until raw smell goes and then add cooked tomato gravy.Cook all these stuff until oil separates from the gravy.
- Serve hot with poori, chappathi or even with white rice.