Onion kurma is a simple and tasty kurma made with big onion and tomato. Onion contains chemical compounds believed to have anti-inflammatory, anti-cholesterol, anti-cancer, and antioxidant properties. Preliminary studies have shown that increased consumption of onions reduces the risk of head and neck cancers.
- 4 nos – Big onion (cut lengthwise thinly)
- 1 no – Tomato (chopped)
- 4 or 5 nos – Green chilies (slit open)
- 1/4 tsp – Turmeric powder
- Salt as needed
- 3/4 cup – Water
For grinding: (dry grinding)
- 2 1/2 tbsp – Roasted bengal gram (pottukadalai)
- 1 tsp – Fennel seeds (soambu)
- 1 tbsp – Oil
- 1/4 tsp – Mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp – Split black gram
- 3 or 4 nos – Curry leaves
- Grind items given for grinding to a fine powder and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a pan, season with items given for seasoning. Add onion and green chilies along with required salt ;saute for 3 to 4 minutes or until transparent.
- Then add tomato saute for few minutes or until tomato gets cooked. Add turmeric powder and ground masala powder fry for few seconds. Then add 3/4 cup of water; cover with lid and cook until everything is well cooked.
- Now kurma is ready and serve hot with chappathi and poori.