Flax Seeds are rich in Omega-3 fatty acids, high in fiber, low in carbohydrates best suits for people who limit their intake of starches and sugars. And its combination of healthy fat and high fiber content make it a great food for weight loss and maintenance. I tried this for the very first time and it tasted really very good. Here comes the recipe for flax seed rice.
- 1 cup – Basmati rice
- 2 tbsp – Flax seeds
- 2 tbsp – Coriander seeds
- 1 tbsp – Bengal gram / Kadalai paruppu
- 1 tbsp – Split black gram / Ulunthu
- 1/2 tsp – Mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp – Fenugreek seeds (venthayam)
- 3 nos – Dry red chillies (as needed)
- 3 nos – Garlic (with skin)
- 1 no – Tamarind (blueberry sized)
- 2 pinches – Asafoetida
- Salt as needed
- 1 tbsp – Sesame oil
- 1/4 tsp – Mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp – Bengal gram / Kadalai paruppu
- 1/4 tsp – Split black gram / Ulunthu
- 4 or 5 nos – Curry leaves
- 1 pinch – Asafoetida
- Wash and soak basmati rice for 30 mins. Pressure cook them for 2 or 3 whistles or until well cooked. Set aside.
- Heat a pan, dry roast flax seeds, coriander seeds, bengal gram, split black gram each separately until slightly golden brown in color or when raw smell goes. Set aside.
- In the same pan, dry roast mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds, dry red chillies and tamarind each separately and allow them to cool.
- In a mixer grinder, grind coriander seeds along with roasted red chillies to a coarse powder then add flax seeds, bengal gram, split black gram, mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds, tamarind , grind them to a fine powder.
- Finally add asafoetida powder, enough salt and garlic, just pulse one or more time to grind them. Now flax seed powder is ready.
- Heat oil in a pan, season with items given in the list for seasoning. Add cooked rice, enough salt (because we have already added salt in the flax seeds podi) and flax seed powder (as needed), mix everything well together as rice is well coated. Yummy and healthy flax seed rice is ready to serve.
- You can replace dry red chillies with 1 tsp of peppercorns.
- If you want to store this powder for later use avoid adding tamarind but you can add it while making rice.