Cornmeal bread, soft and fluffy bread that can be served with honey, jam and maple syrup.
Serves 8 or more
- 1 cup – All purpose flour
- 1 cup – Yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup – Brown sugar / White sugar
- 1 cup – Milk
- 1 no – Egg
- 2 tsp – Baking powder
- 1/2 tsp – Baking soda
- 1/4 cup – Butter (melted)
- 1/8 tsp – Salt
- Spray or lightly grease a 9 inch round cake pan or else use parcement paper. Set it aside.
- In a large bowl, combine all purpose flour, cornmeal, sugar, salt , baking soda and baking powder. Stir in egg, milk and butter until well combined. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Bake in preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until a tooth pick or skewer comes out clean. After that brush the top of the cake with milk and put it back in the oven for just 2 minutes. This gives shiny look on top of the cake. Sweet cornmeal bread is ready.
- Once batter is ready, do not keep the batter outside for long time. Immediately place it in the oven for baking.
- Please do not be tempted to open the oven door for at least the first 30 minutes.
- Brushing cake with milk is to make the cake look shiny on top, which is completely optional. If you do not prefer then skip that process.