Potato stir fry is a popular Indian side dish that goes well with white rice and sambar or even for roti. I used to prepare this simple yummy stir fry with chicken masala powder (is a red chilli powder with garam masala) which we use normally for non-veg dishes. This powder gives nice aroma and flavour to the dish.
- 3 nos – Potato (bigger size)
- 1 no – Onion (big sized,chopped lengthwise thinly)
- 1/4 tsp – Turmeric powder
- 1 tsp – Chicken masala powder
- 1 tbsp – Chopped coriander leaves for garnishing
- Salt as needed
- 1 tbsp – Oil
- 1/4 tsp – Mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp – Split black gram / Ulunthu
- 1/4 tsp – Cumin seeds
- 10 nos – Curry leaves (fresh)
- 1 pinch – Asafoetida
- Wash and boil potato in a pressure cooker for 2 to 3 whistles or until well cooked. Allow them to cool, remove skin and chop them into big cubes.
- Heat oil in a pan, season with items given in the list for seasoning. Add onion along with required salt, saute until onions are golden brown in color.
- Add chopped potato along with turmeric powder and chicken masala powder, mix well and cook until raw smell goes.
- Finally garnish with fresh curry leaves and coriander leaves and serve hot with white rice and sambar.
- Chicken masala powder is a red chilli powder prepared with red chillies and whole garam masala which is used for making non vegetarian recipes.
- You can replace chicken masala powder with our regular sambar powder. But i prefer using chicken masala because of its nice aroma and flavour.
- If you don’t have chicken masala powder, you can use sambar powder along with 1/4 tsp of garam masala powder as an alternate.