It is winter time here in Canada and temperature is below freezing point. So i thought of preparing something warm and healthy to post here. First thing came in to my mind is masala paal. I have tasted this masala paal during my college days, it tasted amazing and it is very rich. Coming to the recipe, Masala paal/ Masala milk is a very popular drink all over India especially in Tamilnadu. Masala paal is a rich and healthy milk drink which can be had by all ages. This milk can be served hot during winter time and can be served cold during summer.
Ingredients: Yields 2 cups
- 2 cups - Milk (i used 2% milk)
- 1/4 cup - Sugar ( or add as needed)
- 8 or 9 nos - Almonds ( or take 1/4 cup)
- 2 tsp - Saara paruppu / piyal seeds / chirongi nuts (i used 4 tsp of pista in place of saara paruppu)
- 3 nos - Cardamom (crushed)
- 1 small - Cinnamon pieces
- 1 no - Clove
- 1/8 tsp - Saffron
- Wash and soak almonds in hot water for 30 mins or so, remove skin and grind it to puree, set aside.
- Take a hard bottomed vessel, add milk, cinnamon stick, clove, crushed cardamom and bring it to boil. Reduce the flame to low, boil till milk reduce its quantity a bit and becomes little thick.
- Once it thickens add the ground almond paste to the boiling milk and mix well. Continuously stir the milk to avoid burn at the bottom of the milk pan.
- Now add saffron strands and required sugar, mix well and bring it to boil or until almond paste is well mixed with milk. Switch off the stove and add saara paruppu or chopped pistachio, mix well. Cool and serve cold or warm in the winter.
- Saffron gives creamy or slightly yellowish color to the milk. If you think you need dark yellow color to the milk, then you can add a pinch of turmeric powder in this recipe.
- Since i did not have saara paruppu / piyal seeds i replaced it with pistachio.
- I used 2 % milk in this recipe, but you can use any milk like 1 % or even whole milk.
- You can increase or decrease sugar level as per your taste.