- 1 cup - Black Chick Peas / kondakadalai (cooked)
- 1 no – Onion (chopped finely)
- 1 no – Tomato (chopped finely)
- 5 pods - Garlic
- 1 no – Potato (cubed)
- 1/4 tsp – Turmeric powder
- 1 tsp – Red chilli powder
- 2 tsp – Coriander powder/ dhania
- 1 no – Tamarind (blueberry size)
- 1 small – Jaggery (small marble size)
- Salt as needed
- 1 1/2 cup - Water
- 1 tbsp – Sesame oil
- 1/4 tsp – Mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp – Split black gram/ ulunthu
- 1 pinch – Fenugreek seeds
- 4 or 5 nos – Curry leaves
- Soak black channa overnight and pressure cook for 4 to 5 whistle or until soft.
- Soak tamarind in warm water and squeeze out the juice. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a pan, season with items given for seasonings. Add onion and garlic saute until golden brown. Then add potato and turmeric powder, saute for 2 mins.
- Next add tomatoes along with required salt and cook till soft. Then add red chilli powder and coriander powder, saute until raw smell goes.
- Add tamarind juice,1 1/2 cups water, jaggery and bring to a nice boil. Then add boiled channa and bring to another boil. Switch off the stove and serve hot with white rice.