Briyani is a flavoured rice prepared with any vegetable or meat of your choice and whole garam masala (Indian spices). I have prepared briyani with mushroom especially white button mushroom. Here comes the recipe.
Serves: 2 people
- 10 to15 nos - Mushroom (white button, slice them as shown in the picture)
- 1 cup - Basmati rice
- 1 no - Onion (sliced lengthwise)
- 1 no - Tomato (chopped finely)
- 1 1/2 tsp - Ginger garlic paste
- 3 nos – Green chilli (as needed,slit open)
- 1/8 tsp – Turmeric powder
- 1 tsp – Red chilli powder ( as needed)
- 2 tsp – Coriander powder
- 2 tbsp - curd / yogurt
- 2 tbsp – Coriander leaves (chopped finely)
- 2 tbsp – Mint leaves(chopped finely)
- 2 cup –Water ( i used 1:2 ratio)
- Salt as needed
- 1 tbsp - Oil
- 1 tbsp - butter
- 2 no - Clove
- 1 no - Cinnamon piece
- 1 no - Cardamom
- 1 no - Bay leaf
- 1/4 tsp - Fennel seeds
- Wash and soak basmati rice in enough water for 30 mins, set it aside.
- Now heat oil in a pan, Season with items given for seasoning. Add ginger garlic, green chillies and chopped onion along with little salt and sauté till onion turn golden brown.
- Add tomato and saute till it is completely cooked. Now add all the masala like turmeric powder, red chilli powder and coriander powder, saute till raw smell goes.
- Add sliced mushrooms, saute until they reduce in their size. Then add curd and stir for some time. Add chopped mint leaves and coriander leaves and saute for a while.
- Add chopped mint leaves and coriander leaves and saute for a while. Add washed rice and mix well. Cover with lid and reduce the flame to medium, cook until rice is tender or well cooked. Mushroom briyani is ready and serve hot with raita.
- You can also pressure cook for up to 2 or 3 whistles or until well cooked. Only concern is the texture of rice, most of us want rice to be firm not massy. That’s why I follow the above step 5 in my process.
- If you prefer pressure cooking method, then use 1 : 1 1/2 ratio (rice : water).