Dahi bhindi / okra curry is a tangy gravy prepared with ladies finger/ bhindi/ okra/ vendakkai which goes well with chappathi, naan and even with white rice or pulao.
- 2 cups – Ladies finger / bhindi / vendakkai / okra (chopped)
- 1 cup – Onion (chopped finely)
- 1/4 tsp – Turmeric powder
- 1 tsp – Red chilli powder (as needed)
- 2 tsp – Coriander powder / dhania
- 3 to 4 tbsp – Curd / yogurt (well beaten)
- 2 pinches – Crushed kasuri methi / dry methi leaves
- 1 tsp – Cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp – Oil for seasoning
- 2 tsp – Oil for sautéing bhindi
- Salt to taste
- 1 no – Tomato (chopped)
- 2 nos – Garlic
- 1/4 inch - Ginger
- 5 nos – Cashew nuts
- Take a mixer grinder, blend chopped tomatoes, garlic , ginger and cashew nuts to a puree like consistency, set aside.
- Heat oil in a pan, saute chopped bhindi / okra for atleast 8 to10 minutes over low flame till they change color and are 3/4 cooked, set aside.
- Heat oil in a pan, season with cumin seeds followed by chopped onion, saute until translucent. Then add tomato cashew puree along with required salt and saute until raw smell goes.
- Add turmeric powder, red chilli powder, coriander powder and garam masala powder, saute until raw smell goes. Add chopped bhindi / okra and mix everything well, add 1 1/2 cup of water and bring it to boil, allow them to cook for 5 mins.
- Finally add beaten yogurt and crushed kasuri methi, mix well and cook them for 5 more minutes. Switch off the stove and serve hot with chappathi, naan and even with white rice.
- Increase or decrease quantity of yogurt in this recipe by their sourness.
- Sauteing bhindi or okra in oil till they are 3/4 done, helps to reduce the stickiness of okra in the gravy.
- You can add 1 tsp of besan / gram flour mixed with water in this recipe to avoid curdling of yogurt / curd.