Kadamba sadham is prepared with red gram / thuvaram paruppu and country vegetables like brinjal, drumstick, raw banana, avaraikai, pumpkin etc. Best healthy lunch box item for both adults and kids.
- 1 cup – Raw rice
- 1/2 cup – Red gram / Thuvaram paruppu / Toor dhal
- 1 no – Onion (chopped)
- 1 no – Tomato (chopped finely)
- 2 or 3 nos – Garlic (chopped)
- 3 or 4 nos – Green chillies
- 1 cup – Vegetables like brinjal, pumpkin, potato, avaraikai, raw banana
- 1/4 tsp – Turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp – Arachuvitta sambar powder
- 1 no – Tamarind (blueberry size)
- Salt as needed
- 3 1/2 cup – Water
- 1 tbsp – Oil
- 1/4 tsp – Mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp – Split black gram / Ulunthu
- 2 pinches – Asafoetida / Perungayam
- Few curry leaves and coriander leaves
- Wash and soak rice and red gram in a same bowl for upto 2 hrs. Soak tamarind in warm water and squeeze out the pulp.
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker, season with items given for seasoning. Add garlic and green chillies, saute for few seconds. Then add onion and saute until slightly golden brown.
- Add tomato and coriander leaves, saute until mushy. Then add turmeric powder, arachuvitta sambar powder along with required salt and saute until raw smell goes.
- Add all vegetables one by one and saute for 2 mins. Now add rice and red gram, saute for few seconds. Then add required water and check for salt. Close with lid and pressure cook for upto 2 or 3 whistles or until well cooked. Allow them to cool.
- Finally add tamarind juice and cook for another 5 mins in medium flame. Now kadamba sadham is ready and serve hot with raita and pickle or even with vadagam.
- You have to soak rice and red gram for 2 hours because we want our rice and dhal to be cooked evenly.
- You can also add tamarind juice along with water and pressure cook it instead of cooking it separately.