Green gram / pacha payaru sundal is a healthy snack that you can prepare at the time of vinayagar chathurthi, Navarathri festival etc.
- 1/2 cup – Green gram / pacha payaru
- 1 no – Onion (chopped finely)
- 2 tbsp – Coconut grated
- Salt as needed
- 2 tsp – Oil
- 1/4 tsp – Mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp – Split black gram
- 1/4 tsp – Cumin seeds
- 2 nos – Dry red chillies
- 4 or 5 nos – Fresh curry leaves
- 1 pinch – Asafoetida
- Wash and soak green gram for about 2 hours. Take a vessel, add soaked green gram and enough water to cook, then cook until they are soft or well cooked. Strain water completely and set aside.
- Heat oil in a pan, season with items given in the list for seasonings. Add chopped onion and required salt, saute until transparent.
- Add cooked green gram and saute for 2 mins or until moisture is completely absorbed.
- Finally garnish with coconut grated and switch off the stove. Green gram sundal is ready.
- You can also pressure cook green gram but i tried 2 to 3 times it got mashed. So i directly cooked in a vessel.
- You can also add green chillies in this recipe while adding onion.